Has the Growing Season Finally Started?


The first of the peas I sowed straight into the bed eight days ago is just starting to show through the compost.

I had begun to think that they might have been taken by marauding mice (even though we have four cats in the house - they are all inherrently lazy!) so last Sunday I carefully removed the top inch or so of soil over them.

Thankfully they were still there, and were starting to sprout, so I replaced the soil, watered heavily and went back to waiting impatiently until tonight when the first tiny green shoot was visible.

The first pea shoots make an appearance

I am expecting great things from these legumes and can't wait for them to start to grow up the trellis, not just for the harvest but to also give our patio a bit of privacy.


One thing in the garden that I am over the moon with is my dwarf apple trees - for the past two years I have had plenty of blossom, but not a single one has set.



Very young apples forming

 This year I moved the trees down the garden as my wife thought that the pollinating insects might be missing them where they had been sat close by the front door - looks like that may have been a good call as we appear to have several potential apples forming, but even now I have not even had a single flower on my Conference Pear.

Non-Flowering Pear
Maybe next year?

No comments:

Post a Comment