Best Laid Plans part 2


 OK.

Before


The raised bed has been dug, the potatoes are earthed, the bit of bindweed that I discovered the other day has been dealt with.  
 
 
After



The new raised bed was a joy to dig - no stones, not too many roots and lovely rich soil.  All I need now is a bit of dry weather to let me get out there and do some planting.










I mentioned bindweed earlier - last weekend when tidying away the lst of the broccoli I noticed a spindly climber wrapped around the stems of one of the larger broccoli plants.



Having unsuccessfully tried to grow runner beans in the same area last year I had hoped that this could be a surviving refugee, but thanks to my friends on The Grapevine I now know that this was not the case. www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapevine/forum.php 

The roots are very long and thin, and are prone to snapping if you just pull at them, but an entire new plant can regrow from a single small section of root, so make sure that you get it all.


Potatoes in their Grow Bag

I decided to take a couple of sticks of rhubarb as I wasn't sure how much they would weigh.

These monsters weighed in at just under a kilo, so I may have to grab another one to make my wine - I shall have to consult my recipe.

No planting today as the ground is just too wet - the forecast suggests that we should get some drier weather tomorrow so we will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment