It's now official - I am a Proper Plot Holder!

While I was at my plot on Friday night making sure everything was in place for the weekend's rotivation and raised bed building I just happened to look at the first bed that me and my son dug over nearly three weeks ago, just after I got the allotment.  Determined to plant something this year I came down to the plot in the middle of a rainstorm and planted up 15 potatoes.

The next morning when I checked the bed it had been thoroughly trashed by the family of foxes we have on site - the ridges had been flattened and several holes dug into the bed itself.

I tried to repair the damage but mentally wrote this bed off and carried on preparing the remainder of the plot.

Whilst piling bags of compost I noticed something coming through in that bed that didn't look like the other weeds and I was down on my hands and knees in a flash, carefully brushing away the loose dried soil from around it.

It was one of my potatoes that was showing, and now that I was down close to the bed I could see one or two more.

The tops are only a centimetre above ground level at the moment, but overall I found that thirteen of the fifteen I planted have made an appearance.

I was so happy that I went and found my plot neighbour who was minding his own business watering his beans and dragged him across to show him my first ever plants on my plot.

Thankfully he was very understanding towards the lunatic who was pointing out some barely showing shoots, especially when his own plot is filled with stuff doing really well.

I know that they are only potatoes, I know that I shouldn't get so excited over such a small deal, but they are my first and so will always be special.

Now I have actually got something other than weeds growing I can call myself a Proper Plot Holder.

No comments:

Post a Comment