Windowsill Update

As I am hoping to get the keys to the allotment on Saturday which is only five days time, it is time for an update on how the seeds I planted on the windowsill seven days ago are faring.

Borlotti doing well

Three of the four borlotti that I planted are doing well and about four inches tall.  The fourth has just started to show but is a sickly yellow colour so might not do as well as the others.


The first true leaves are well established with signs of the next pair already evident.  These will soon need potting on into individual pots with some support from a cane before I can get them into a prepared bed on the allotment, hopefully by next Monday or Tuesday, weather depending.


Mange Tout

The Oregon Sugar Pod mange tout are also showing lots of growth. 

Despite germinating before the borlotti they are only three inches tall but are more developed and already have set their second, or even third set of true leaves.  These will also need to be potted on fairly soon, but probably after the borlotti.
 
The French Breakfast radish are romping away and are now nearly two inches tall.  I planted two seeds in each of nine stations and as you can see from the picture all bar one has come up.  Once the second set of leaves arrives I will be trying to transplant the weaker seedling to ensure that each has plenty of space for the root bulb to develop.  I have read that radish don't like to be moved - this should be a nice experiment to compare those that are moved to those left undisturbed.

Radish French Breakfast

Of the other seeds planted at the same time only the tomato, Sweet Baby have germinated as yet, and only two out of the four seeds planted.  At less than an inch high these will not need their own individual pots for a long time.  No movement at all from the chillis or pumpkin.  The pumpkin took 12 days to show when I germinated one outside, so I was expecting this one to come up faster.  Still, it does have five more days to go so I shouldn't be so impatient.

Sweet Baby tomato

The only other planter on the windowsill is my experiment with water retaining gel where I planted some spinach Matador into the modules in which I got the veg plug plants from Aldi.



Spinach Experiment

These were only sown on Saturday, so nothing is moving as yet.

One thing I have noticed with all the plants on the windowsill is that they are all bending towards the light instead of growing upwards.  At the moment I am combatting this by giving the post a quarter turn every morning, but I think I will try to make a simple light box for them.

This is done by covering a piece of cardboard with silver foil and standing it behind the plants to reflect whatever light comes in so that the seedlings will no longer have to bend towards it.  Hopefully it will work and I won't have to keep turning the trays and pots.

No comments:

Post a Comment