D-Day

Today is the day I get my allotment!

Had lots of emails back and forth with the allotment secretary last night.

I have now been offered the full plot instead of the three quarters I was going to take - apparently the lady who was going to have the other quarter has been offered space on another plot.

I had a chat with my stepdad (who is my allotment partner) and my wife (who is having a quarter for soft fruit) and they both said to go for it, so this afternoon I will be signing up for the full plot.

I just hope that I am not taking on more than I can handle here.

The secretary also told me that the plot has been recently strimmed - I am not sure if that is good or bad right now as I would have liked to have walked the plot first just in case there were any plants mixed in with the weeds that could be saved as I had been told by a neighbouring plotholder that there was some rhubarb in there somewhere. It would also have shown me where the nasty perennial weeds were.

On the other hand, it has saved me a day's work, and I can get straight on with creating my first couple of beds, depending upon what the ground is like.  It has rained so much here recently that I am concerned that the soil will be so wet that I really can't dig it. or if there is a lot of clay in the ground as my stepdad thinks, there will be standing water all over the plot.

Seedlings ready for planting 

More seedlings!

Last night I totally emptied the blow away to do a thorough check for slugs and snails hiding on the underside of the various pots and planting trays in there.

It was only when I laid all the trays out on the hot tub lid I realised just how many seedlings I actually have ready for planting out - and remember, I also have more on the table in the front garden.

The haul in the blow away that is ready to plant out is:

67 onions - not sure if these are ready as they are only tiny as yet.
15 Winter Cauliflowers
15 Winter Cabbage
15 Purple Curly Kale
15 Brussel Sprouts
15 Purple Sprouting Broccoli
1 Tomato
6 Peas
1 Capsicum Pepper
2 Pumpkins
4 Courgettes

Even more seedlings!

Left over from planting the front garden
1 Swiss Chard
3 Leeks
2 Cavolo Nero
2 Curly Kale
1 Romanesco Broccoli

Not big enough to plant out yet are
9 Lettuce
3 Kohn Rabi
11 Courgettes

I have also got loads and loads of seeds ready to go in.

I just hope I can keep everything under control!

No comments:

Post a Comment