In the Bleak Midwinter ......

Well.looking back on my recent posts I am a bit ashamed to note that I have only posted twice in the past two months despite my best intentions of updating at least weekly.



In my defence, however, I must say that the weather had been horrible and so even when I have been able to get to the plot, there has been very little to do apart from tidy up and repair any damage to the frames caused by the frost and snow.






On the rare occasions when I did manage to get on the plot I was often greeted by the very beautiful, if frustrating sight of my over-wintering vegetables coverd in a thick layer of frost.










Some were affected more by the frost than others - the perpetual Spinach and rainbow Chard both were hit hard, presumably because of the high water content in their stalks. 











Others, like the cabbage survived without any problems.








I was a little concerned about the smaller brassica seedlings that went into the beds very late last year, and had been attacked by pigeons, slugs and caterpillars but they too have come through the worst the winter has thrown at us so far.
I thought the frost 'halo' on this tiny Brussel Sprout especially nice.








The drainage channel I had started to dig before the weather made it impossible to carry on got completely full from the heavy rain and had then frozen solid - the picture shows eight inches of solid ice!

No comments:

Post a Comment