Early March on the Allotment - Video Update

At last it looks like the drainage problems I have been experiencing on the top of my allotment may have been solved.

The drainage channel that was dug in back in January has been successful in letting the surplus water in the centre clear away, so I have been able to get the first of the soft fruit beds put in.

As these beds are a lot narrower than the beds that I have already put in because otherwise I would have six inches of wood and only 18 inches of soil in between.

The site has recently had a delivery of old scaffolding boards which were perfect for what I wanted, and were very cheap at only 20p per foot, so the cost for both beds was only £15.


I still need to do something about the very top of my ground, next to the path, as when it rains any surplus water from the wildlife area above my plot comes over the path and straight onto my plot where the ground level is lower.  I can either raise my ground or dig a diverting trench along the path - not sure what will be best.

There are still a few over wintering veg on the plot, but with the weather we have had recently they will be OK in the ground for a few more weeks.

I hope that the weather starts to look and feel like spring soon - I have loads of seeds waiting to be sown, but there is no point right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment